Pages

Thursday 24 January 2013

Puggy


As I mentioned in Christmas presents 2012, I made my sister a knitted dachshund due to being requested to make a pug by a friend of mine. This pug took over a fair amount of time during the Christmas-present-making-time, but was actually quite enjoyable to make. Possibly why I decided to make another breed of dog from the book.

The book in question is 'Best In Show: Knit Your Own Dog', and around the middle of November I received a quick snap of a page in the book with a message asking whether I'd be able to make it. I said of course I'd be able to (after having a quick look at the pattern to make sure I wouldn't be letting anyone down!), and set to ordering some nice wool. And, believe me, the wool was nice. 

Very soon after the wool dropped through my letterbox, I made a start on the dog. It had some stitches that I'd never attempted before and therefore I found sections of it trickier than I might otherwise have done. I also found that whilst knitting up the different pieces was mostly fine, the hardest part about making a knitted dog was the sewing up. I am notoriously bad at sewing projects up (I still haven't finished my wife's Birthday Blanket, but shhhh) but I obviously had no choice here. The pattern directions didn't really help with the sewing up in terms of the specific, and so I mostly relied on the pictures in the book. More particularly, I found the face very tricky to make, as I really have no idea as to what a pug reeeeeally looks like. I googled pugs more than a couple of times while working on this project just to look at their little faces.

In the end though, both my friend and her mother (who the gift was for) were really impressed with the pug, so I figure I did a good job. I also got some homemade truffles out of the bargain, and got to make something I probably wouldn't have otherwise. All in all, a good turn out, I'd say.

So here is the little pug that I knitted:


           
       

No comments:

Post a Comment