Pages

Friday 29 March 2013

Hexagon preparation

As mentioned here, I have been working on a paper pieced hexagon quilt. I have found the beginning stages a little tedious, and it took far longer than I expected to cut out 480 little hexagons. However, this has now all been done and the next step was to add fabric to each of these hexagons.

Here is a quick outline of the process I followed for turning the 11.5cm square pieces of cotton into the 7/8" hexagons.
I firstly cut each of the cotton squares into quarters.
Next, I folded one of the fabric squares around two edges of a hexagon, making sure to make the creases good and crisp, and pinched them firmly at the point. I then pushed my tacking thread through the fabric and paper near to that point, before making a small stitch to secure itself.
I continued around to the next point of the hexagon, folding firmly over the edge and securing with the thread. 
This process was continued until I had folded over each of the six edges of my hexagon, and I secured the thread with a small stitch on the wrong side of the hexagon, going through both layers of fabric.
This process left me with one small fabric-covered hexagon, all ready for sewing together to make my quilt top.

As it turned out, there were not 60 squares of fabric in each of the packs I had bought. Instead, I was missing around 12 of the squares I thought there would be, and one of the squares was missing some fabric, meaning I could only get two hexagons from it. This therefore meant I was approximately 50 hexagons shy of where I thought I'd be, but that should still be fine for the design I have intended for my quilt.

Here are around half of the prepared hexagons, just to give an idea of some of the fabrics that will be going into my quilt top.

Now that I've finished adding all of the fabric to my hexagons, I'm ready to start sewing them together, and I really am rather excited about that!
           
       

No comments:

Post a Comment